Named by King Lud in pre-Roman times as a settlement, upon the Roman invasion of 46 BC this area was given the name of Londinium. The river being deep enough for vessels to sail inland quite a distance it enabled a safe trading port which formed the outer reaches of the Roman Empire.
Abandonded by Rome after the 5th Century the area became a place for warring Anglo Saxons and Vikings to invade and trade for 500 more years, all within the Roman-built walls.
The land of Thorney Island was the property of and described in the Charter of King Offa d.796.
William Duke of Normandy conquered the town and so its size and prominence increased dramatically withconstruction of the Westminster Hall and Palace of Westminster (the seat of Government) on Thorney island, a island formed from atributary of the Tyburn on meeting the Thames. London Bridge completed 1209 would remain the only bridge across the river Thames for over 700 years.
In the 12th and 13th Centuries London would see many wars and revolt, social and economic tensions forced a Peasant's Revolt of 1381 led by Wat Tyler in which the rebels demanded removal of serfdom and lower taxes. This uprising was crushed and it's ringleaders executed.
Thorney Island is known for its wild vegetation which has been built over in subsequent centuries, becoming the Houses of Parliament, Parliament Square, and the seat of the UK Government. However, this area remains the property of King Offa, Mercian King under his charter which is in the Abbey muniments. This document is indeed original and true though dismissed as fake by some:
Fast forward to 26th July 2016 the land - formerly known as Parliament Square, London, England, and before that Thorney Island - is henceforth proclaimed "Republic of Wakrat"
The constitution and foundation of this Republic can be read on this website.